So as you probably know (because I won’t shut up about it) I’m only one day away from finding out whether this little love of mine will bring sugar and spice or snips and snails. I thought I’d have some fun with some old wives tales and daydream about what my baby will be like as either…
1. How you’re carrying – If you’re carrying high, break out the pink. If your bump is low, you’re carrying a boy.
Boy??? I’m barely showing but I would guess it’s pretty low.
2. Heart Rate– According to legend, 140+ beats per minute indicates a girl, and below 140 a boy.
Girl! It was 150 last time I went to the OB.
3. Cravings– If you’re craving sweets it’s a girl, if you’re craving salty it’s a boy
Boy! I had a huge sweet tooth before pregnancy, not so much anymore.
4. Chinese Birth Chart– based on the month you conceived and your age at conception
5. Mayan Legend– determined a baby’s sex by looking at the mother’s age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it’s a girl. If one’s even and one’s odd, it’s a boy.
6. Complexion– If you’re breaking out like crazy, blame it on your girl babe. The belief goes that girls steal their mother’s beauty, hence, those annoying zits.
Girl! Something is definitely sucking the beauty out of me, although D seems to think I’m prettier.
7. Ring Test– Hang your wedding ring by a string. If it swings in a circle, a little guy’s in your future. If it goes back and forth, you’ve got a girl.
Boy! It started going in a circle but then after a while it switched to back and forth, so maybe Girl?
8. Morning Sickness– Sick as a dog during the first trimester — or still? Signs indicate you’re having a girl. Little or no morning sickness points to a boy.
Boy! I had a few days where I was a little queasy but not enough to hamper my day. I made it through the entire first trimester without puking!
9. Survey Says…
Girl! Only three of my friends have said they think my baby is a boy. The vast majority of my friends and family think it’s going to be a girl. Many already refer to him/her as “she” or “my niece.” Admittedly, this has been a pet peeve of mine during pregnancy. It’s as if other people know more about my little baby then I do. But who knows? Maybe they do.
10. Things I didn’t do:
-Pee in a glass of draino
-buy any sort of gender predictor kit
-go to a psychic
Let me know if I missed anything!
Letter to My Future Boy or Girl:
What do I think of the matter? Well, since I’m planning on having about 12 kids (okay maybe 5) I’m not too worried about whether you are a girl or boy. I know it sounds cliché to say “I just hope you are healthy” but it really couldn’t be more true. In the course of this pregnancy I have heard about so many scary things that can happen to babies that I’m just really nervous that something bad will happen to you. I’m told as a parent I’ll never stop worrying, though, so I guess I should get used to it.
One thing I hear a lot of people say is “I hope I have a boy first so he can look after his little sister.” As far as concerns go, that is the very least of mine. If you are a girl and you are anything like your mom you won’t need an older brother to look after you. Besides, I personally couldn’t imagine life without my little brothers (your uncles) to pick on. If you are anything like any of the Lerma women you will be a regular Scarlett O’Hara- strong, independent, (admittedly) selfish, and you won’t take sh*t from anyone. You miiiight have a weakness for romance. If you are a girl we’ll probably be broke soon. There are so many cute outfits and accessories for baby girls and I’ll finally have a real life doll to dress up like I practiced doing when I was a little girl. But that’s okay- you can pay us back when you’re the next Carissa Moore, winning your first women’s world surfing championship by the time you’re 18.
If you are a boy, first off you’ve probably been annoyed that all your tias have been referring to you as a girl for the past four and a half months. I’ll likely buy you a drum set so you has something productive to bang on when you’re a toddler. I’ll probably regret it but I can always invest in some Bose headphones. Maybe you’ll be in a band some day. It’s kind of hard to picture a baby boy, but I can already picture you when you’re a grom- your backwards hat, scraped-up elbows, and torn up skate shoes… late for dinner again because you were finishing up a game of s-k-a-t-e with the other neighborhood groms. I’ll pretend like I’m mad but I really won’t be.
And if you, my baby boy or girl, are nothing like I’ve daydreamed about so far- if you hate the ocean or prefer Britney Spears over Black Flag, I’ll love you just the same. Why? Because you are MINE and I’ve loved you ever since I saw those two pink lines on that ten-dollar pregnancy test. ♥