People often ask me how I clean my cloth diapers. It’s really more simple than I think they imagine it to be. It’s certainly more simply than I ever thought it would be. Sure, there are more complicated routines out there, but I’ve never had a problem just keeping it simple. Here are my steps:
1. After removing the diaper, if there is poop on it, I knock as much as I can out into the toilet. I don’t touch the poop, I don’t spray it, I don’t even care if all of the poop has been removed. I do what I can before removing the insert and tossing it into the laundry basket.
2. I use a separate laundry basket for cloth diapers, and all it really is is a small garbage can with a lid.
3. Either every day or every other day, depending on how many diapers I have and how motivated I am to do laundry, I dump the diapers into the washing machine.
4. I set the water temperature to hot and adjust the load size accordingly. I don’t do a pre-soak unless I know there is a diaper or two in there that particularly needs it. I don’t even do an extra rinse.
5. I insert a capful of laundry detergent and close the door.
6. When the wash is done, I put them in the drier on medium heat (I used to hang them to dry but it’s soooo humid on my little tropical island that they never dry).
Yes, washing cloth diapers is really that simple. The key is a good laundry detergent that doesn’t have any fragrances, enzymes, or other additives that can build up on your cloth diapers and make them less absorbent. I recently started using method 4x concentrated laundry detergent and I have to say I’m pretty impressed.
method is made of naturally-derived ingredients making it biodegradable and hypoallergenic. It’s perfect to use on baby diapers or clothes, or anyone’s clothes for that matter. It smells AMAZING, without the use of any fragrances (I don’t know how they do it). Using a detergent like method can help prevent cloth diapers from buildup that causes funky smells and leaking, which may require stripping. It is tough on baby’s messes but gentle on baby’s skin. Washing cloth diapers is easy! All you need is the right detergent. method is currently partnering with ASOS to create a wonderful collection of the latest fashion trends. Check it out at the ASOS hub!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.